Week 5--Men's Dress Shirt Refashion--How exciting! I spent nearly my entire week trying to determine a plan, a design and do research. I ended up putting this look together on Thursday night with finishing touches done on Friday morning--yes...down to the wire! All in all I believe it turned out well and as a new and basically self taught sewer, I think I did a good job and stepped outside of the box. My first thoughts were dress but I was thinking that was too obvious so I needed to come with something better than that. I decided to combine my love for color-blocking (which I had never done) and peplums.
In comes the victim...
A Large light blue dress shirt with dark blue and white pinstripes. From this I decided I wanted to tie in some left over Navy jersey knit that I had from a previous (soon to be posted) project. I decided I wanted to add some sort of peplum to the shirt and also use color blocking.
I also wanted to change out the boring light blue tiny buttons to a larger, kid-friendly, fun blue button. Originally I wanted to do a scoop neck tank style bodice but ended up going with the very fashion forward Mandarin collar by taking off the original collar and I then added Dolman style sleeves.
This was my first attempt at color blocking so I may have gone a little overboard but I like the way it came out. I also added little bows to the back of the pants just below the color block and right above the button plackets/cuffs-which by the way were the original shirt sleeves. The bows I felt were an attempt to make this outfit a little more "girly" since there is SO much blue.