Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Reeeeemix!! Spring Fever Dress-PR&P

It's PARTY time over at Project Run & Play!
 
 
So, approximately a week ago Project Run & Play offered up a challenge, a pattern remix!  How fun! How could I resist?  The challenge is to remix The Spring Fever Dress by Jess at Me Sew Crazy.  First of all, what a gorgeous dress in it's original form as I LOVE a good ruffle, I'm a sucker for bibs and the fabric she used on her example dress is purple--my favorite color of all time!  Let's take a quick look at where we are starting:
 


 
Gorgeous, right?!  So what could I do to "make it my own?"  First it took me days and days of thinking, I finally settled on trying to do some type of asymmetrical ruffle tunic but that plan did not come to fruition.  I just knew in my heart that I did not want to just move the 'bib' to the front as so many others would do that.  I like to try to be different, outside the box and I am a fool for blocking color now.  So here is my end result:
 
 


 I first changed the pattern around so that the back bodice would be the front and the front the back.  I then decided on my fabrics.  The first was this beautiful bee fabric I bought last summer!  Almost a full year ago and I was saving it all this time, but for what?  What says Spring or Summer more than yellow and cute little bees?!  I knew I did not want to do the whole thing in print so I found a solid which was black to match the bees.  Lastly I needed a lining fabric but everything I had did not go and just in case it peeked out I didn't want something ghastly so I found this Hello Kitty scrap of a sheet that I used last year to make crib sheets for my daughter--PERFECT!  The fabric is nice and soft to go against the skin and it's muted with white so IF by chance it peeks out it will sort of match the ongoing theme of the shirt.  Oh and by the way that is what I decided, I also did not want to do a dress but a nice little tunic that can wear over leggings.


 
The other changes I made to the pattern were, I kept the buttons on the back rather than leaving them with the bib that was on the original.  They are black to blend with the color scheme and I fabric covered them myself.  I also used a large rectangle, about 12 x 42 (ish) for the skirt base to start.  I ended up cutting off probably 2-3 inches from the length when I came to gather and realized it was far to big for my 19 month old.  I intended to do the asymmetrical ruffles but because someone woke up during my 2 a.m. sewing frenzy that did not work out.  I ended up going with ruffles going around a peplum-style base.  What else?  Oh, the button loops.  In the tutorial elastic cord was used to make the loops and I didn't have any so I used a ruffled elastic that I had on hand.  I'm really glad I did as I love the look of it, more femininity added to the pot!  SWEET!  And here she is, our Spring Fever Dress Remix--The Sweet Bee Tunic!
 
 
 
And now here is my model enjoying her new tunic complete with black lace cuffed leggings and handmade hair bows!
 
 

 
Thanks for stopping by!  Please be sure to stop over here Project Run & Play and see who the winner is as well as all of the other FABULOUS bloggers that have featured their remixes! 
-Tara
 

BYE-BYE!

13 comments:

  1. That yellow fabric looks so good on your little girl! I love the bees :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ajaire! And thanks for visiting! As you can see I'm newly developed so please come by in the future to see what's going on :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ajaire. Yellow looks awesome on your little girl! It turned out really cute. Love the sunglasses on her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute. And your little girl is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This dress is absolutely beautiful...you have a little fashion plate on your hands! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment & thanks for stopping by Nichole! Please visit again :-)

      Delete
  6. ACK! So cute! I have that same bee fabric and I haven't figured out what to do with it yet. What a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida! So glad you came to check it out! I had that bee fabric since last summer at least-LOL!

      Delete