Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

KCW-Spring 2013! Days 2 & 3 combined!



So...this post comes on the morning of KCW Day 4--notice anything suspicious about my title here?  Hmmmm...

Did you know that KCW Spring 2013 has it's own Flickr Group?  You can go here KCW Spring 2013-FLICKR to check out what everyone is up to.  There are some AMAZING creations and unbelievably a LOT of finished items.  You can find everything from Submarine Pullovers to Geranium dresses, from the soon to be released Parsley Pants (can't wait!) to lots of adorable bubble shorts--stop by and check it out, inspiration overflowing for sure!

Days 2 and 3 were not really as productive as I'd have liked them to be, but they are gone so here is what I have so far:



First up is the 'Ruffle Top' A Line Dress, pattern by Elegance & Elephants!  I fell in love with this pattern the first time I saw it and knew I had to get it right away.  Purple is my favorite color so I decided I would use some of this great purple fabric I've had in my stash for about a year now just waiting, crying for something spectacular to be used for!  The fabric itself is just a regular quilting cotton one purple with a white flower pattern and the other white with purple dots, I bought it also on EBay in a lot together so they perfectly matched already. 

I also did a search in google to find out what others have done with the pattern during testing, etc. and I did not see too much mixing of fabrics, prints, colors, etc.  Although great creations, it seems most people used only one uniform fabric throughout.  I knew I wanted to (in my own opinion) add excitement to the already AWESOME pattern and utilize the different 'canvases' between the princess seams.  I also know that most people shy away from using two different prints and will use a solid to kind of calm the eye from the busyness of prints everywhere, but you know just like everything else--if you do it right the sky is the limit.  I believe the flower print paired with the polka dots is DIVINE!  And if all else fails, it's a GORGEOUS purple and I'm in LOVVVVVVE!


I made my own polka dot bias tape to use around the neckline and for the button loop, and used the polka dots for the back ties as well.  This was my FIRST bias tape experience EVER!!  So excited it went so smoothly.  And did you see my button???!!


I bought this button on EBay as part of a lot of vintage buttons on the card and it arrived the same day I was completing the dress--how perfect was that?  I just KNEW this button had to belong to this dress, the color match was if I had personally handpicked it in the store myself.  I just love it when things work out like that. 

The Ruffle Dress pattern created from Heidi over at Elegance & Elephants was great to work with, easy to follow and few pattern pieces which is always a win!  I opted not to use the optional armhole bias tape and instead just finished with a regular hem fashion and I used the A-line dress pattern but this pattern is also versatile in that you can make a top, an A-line dress or a swing dress too--the possibilities and variations are endless!  If you would like the pattern, you can purchase it here:  E&E Ruffle Top Pattern--well worth the money!

We had an assistant on our photo shoot that I'd like to thank as well, without him we may have had a rough time.  He supplied the much needed kisses to set the tone and vibe to POSITIVE!  :-) 
 
Who DOESN'T love Elmo???!!!
 
So here is the rest of my day 2/3 "progress":


 
And I'm about half way through a project that I did not take pics of--maybe in my day 4 post, which should actually be today.  How are your projects coming along?  Leave me a comment!

Thanks for stopping by!
 
Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment