Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

KCW Spring 2013- Days 4, 5 &6


Day 6 of KCW Spring 2013 is coming to a close.  This week has FLOWN by and for me, in my particular circumstances I think it's been pretty productive.  Of course we all hit bumps in the road and things that "glitch" and make us not as efficient as we'd sometimes like to be.  With that being said though, I think for me, I did my personal best.  So let's see what I've been doing the last few days. 
ONE project last over the three days and I am quite happy with the result:


After about 3 days of pure slaving (LOL!) here they are, the Coastal Cargos, pattern by Melissa of Melly Sews.  You can find the pattern here at Blank Slate Patterns.  It is WON-DER-FUL to say the least.  I tend to stick with firsts and I bought my very first pattern from Melissa (Basic Blazer) and I loved it so I am a repeat customer and with this pattern she did not disappoint!

I used this brown twill type of fabric with a cute tree & apple tree pattern I bought at Joann's a while back (long while).  I was saving it for proverbial "perfect project" which I was thinking at the time would have been a jumper type of dress for Miss. L, but never came to fruition.  So when I decided I wanted to attempt these cargos for KCW I decided the fabric MUST be special, different, outside the box and far from boring to stand out in the FLICKR pool (here) to maybe  draw attention to "this here blog"-haha!  Enter this "tree fabric". 

The pattern allows for several 'options' for which I chose to do pretty much ALL of them because I'm a sucker for details, especially on little people!  The tuxedo stripe down the sides (which by the way I used foldover elastic for, rather than bias tape), the cargo pockets, welt pockets in the back and regular slash pockets in the front are all some of the details that are optional.  This pattern also includes belt loops, special tabs to raise the pants to almost a short, and a 1/2 elastic/flat front waistband.  Also there is a functioning zipper (my FIRST one!!  successful too, I might add) 




This pattern was extraordinary and helped me to learn new skills (my first machine done buttonholes & working zip fly) and work on mastering old skills like the welt pockets.  The details make the pants SO worthwhile and SO much better than any store bought pair out there.  If you don't have it, this pattern is a MUST buy!!

As I mentioned, for the tuxedo stripes I actually used a neon/lime-ish green foldover elastic that I bought originally for necklines for pajamas a long time ago.  I also used a contrasting green fabric for the cargo pocket covers which is just a simple cotton.  I would have done more of this fabric throughout but I did not have enough.  The belt loops, welt pocket and slash pocket linings were done with a stripe fabric that I bought at Walmart last summer to complete a baby blanket.  It incorporates several of the colors of the pants and with a punch of color and pop of another pattern.  The buttons were just simple plastic buttons I bought also at Walmart.  I used plain orange buttons for the cargo pocket tabs and a striped orange button for the pants closure.  There is a working zipper, as mentioned and I just LOVE these pants!

For the shirt I used Made by Rae's "Flashback Skinny Tee" pattern, which you can find here: Flashback Skinny Tee.  This was actually an "upcycling" from a shirt I bought at a thrift store that was I think a size 6 in boys--my son is not even 2 yet, and he is the 'younger' of the twins so he is the smaller one.'  This pattern was GREAT also!  Very self explanatory, short instructions and would not take too long on an average day when certain twins nap for their full time but on this day it took a little longer.  I highly recommend this pattern though as a staple base for so many things, I can see remixing it into a bunch of different versions (maybe a dress in future?? hmmmm stay tuned!)  Anyway the upcycled shirt was a polo, so it was a pique knit and I mistakenly used the same fabric for the color which did/did not work out so well.  My babies have big heads so for that it worked great but for wearability it kind of looks stretched.  However, after some wear it looked really cute.  I will FOR SURE be making more of these!  Here are pics of all the details:



Do you know how temperamental some models can be?


Hahaha, I think I need to pay him better!

KCW is winding down (I'm getting sad actually!)  Because I'm not really in the blogging "loop" I don't know what I will be doing next, I'm thinking of sewing along with Elegance & Elephants Knock it Off series which I think begins in a few days on May 1st!  But let's survive KCW Spring 2013 FIRST!

What are you up to in these final days?  Leave a comment and a link to your blog so I can stop by and check it out!

Thanks for stopping by!
Happy Sewing!
 
Tara

1 comment:

  1. These pants look amazing and your boy is just adorable! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete