Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fabulous Knock Off

So i haven't written in such a long time! its as if I've taken the entire summer off from blogging and from organized sew-a-long type sewing. Although I stopped writing, I never stopped reading and I've been noticing some nice new blogs popping up and quickly gaining momentum-maybe I can hitch a ride in that direction if I get back to it now-haha!

Today I want to share my first completed 'knock off'!
A few weeks ago I saw a post on Instagram, someone was searching for this beautiful leopard bubble skirt by Baby Gap from their "Bryant Park" line.  As soon as I saw it I was in LOVE!! And like any other mom that can sew I said, "I can make that!!" And for WELL less than the almost $30 asking price!  Here she is:

For construction I used An of Straight Grain's Bubble Skirt pattern here:  http://www.straight-grain.com/2013/01/bubble-skirt-free-pattern-and-tutorial.html?m=1
I've used her patterns before with my bubble dress so it was a no brainer!  The pattern was pretty easy to follow and as she always does An converts the cm to inches for you so there's no guessing. This is a pretty quick sew. Here's how mine turned out:

The fabric is a sale priced cotton from Joann's and I bought 3/4 black grosgrain ribbon for the waist detail.  For the lining i used the same fabric, my thought was just in case theres movement and the lining shows it won't be different.  I LOVE the way this turned out!!  I actually like mine better but don't tell Baby Gap!!  Now I'm confident to approach another Knock Off in the future!

Have you ever done a Knock Off?  If so what did you make and how spot on was it?  Did you end up liking yours or the original better?  Let me know!  

Happy Sewing/Creating!!


No comments:

Post a Comment