Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Project Run & Play

Puff Polka Dot Popover Remix-PR&P Season 7
I submitted my sew along entry just shy of an hour before "closing time!!"  Talk about stressful-whewww! I sewed along a couple weeks of last season for the first time ever and apart from my time management skills needing a tweak I really enjoyed it so I thought why not try to do what I can this season?

This week was the infamous "Remix" week and the pattern is The Popover Sundress by Oliver+S! I had a million ideas pop up in my head, I'm always trying to be original hoping to stand out in the sea of entries. But I'm also a stalker of the PR&P so as I was brainstorming I would feel secure with an idea, check the site and see someone had submitted one just like I was thinking so I'd scratch it and try to come up with another.  All of that contemplating cost me precious sewing time-lesson learned (I think ;-) 

I decided first which fabric I'd use which came from my stash as I'm not planning on buying anything new to sew along.  This is what I came up with:
A lovely polka dot quilting cotton that for whatever reason looks black in pictures, however I assure you it is Navy & White. I bought this from Joann's scrap bin a while back "just waiting for the perfect project" as everyone says.  And the yellow was an upcycle:
A jacket I bought myself about 3-4 years ago with the tags STILL on it!!  You guessed it-bought and never worn so what was I "hoarding" it for?  PR&P that's what!! 

Immediately I knew the yellow sleeves would be leggings, how could I resist that ruffle?
The navy & yellow, in my opinion is a stunning combination. I also knew to remix the popover I wanted to make a tunic with leggings so I added a more defined strap with armsyce to the existing design along with a puff sleeve.  The puff sleeves have elastic cuffs.  I also shortened the length of the dress 2 inches to make it a tunic and added a little patch pocket in the yellow to tie the pieces together. I love love love personalization because I'm "preppy" like that so I drafted an "L" applique for the pocket-my daughter is London-and here is my completed look sans the model because she was sleeping when I finished down to the wire!!



 Just made it into PR&P Week 1!! I think I will start week 2 now! Stay tuned-it's all about candy!! Mmmmm

Happy Sewing!!

Tara

4 comments:

  1. You had me at polka dots!!!!! Lovely work!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Elizabeth & thanks for stopping by to take a peek!

      Delete
  2. So adorable!

    kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great upcycling! Love the sleeves as pants idea. I have been inspired!

    ReplyDelete