Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Magrath Dress and Tunic! A Tale of a Pattern Test.


     I had the absolute pleasure of testing the new Magrath dress & tunic by Sew Much Ado.  This pattern is the best fitting garment I think I've ever seen for my daughter!  I've really never been so pleased especially during testing where usually there are a lot of fitting issues or kinks to work out with a pattern.  

Although I was only assigned the dress version, I just couldn't resist doing the tunic version as well.  That for me is a true testament of how great this pattern is as I often don't "repeat sew"-LOL!  

Here is my dress version 
Please excuse the snowstorm--LOL!

This is the size 4 but with added length for my big 4 year old. I used the once very sought after fabric from Hobby Lobby (the stripes)-I actually bought this in a destash group on Facebook though. For the beautiful sweetheart bodice and accent back pieces I used a beautiful mint fabric with white dots that coordinated beautifully.  Not sure where I got it but I want to say Walmart...confessions of a fabricholic!!


As you can see by the back the details in this pattern are amazing!! I finally got the chance to try out my beautiful lace zippers I bought a while ago.  I'm often an admirer of others use of lace and other trims but often forget to add to my own creations.  This pattern is PERFECT for that too and so I added lace to the 3/4 sleeves for a beautiful accent but not overpowering with this fabric.

For my tunic version I decided I wanted to do a contrast to the delicate dress and do something a little harder meets everyday wear.  I LOVE a good upcycle so I used an old pair of jeans for the denim and because, as you see from the first photos, we are in the Northeast Winter season (30 below with windchill as I write this! OMG!!) I decided on a flannel/brushed cotton from Joann's Plaiditudes collection and boy is it SUPER soft!!




Perfection!! Again I added a beautiful lace trim to my 3/4 length sleeves and an additional lace trim to my hem.  Finished off with another gorgeous lace zip!

If you sew, you NEED this pattern in your arsenal! It is definitely a staple for your daughter's wardrobe, the fit is AMAZING, it can be used ALL year round depending on your fabric choice, you can add all kinds of embellishments to suit your taste and there are SO many options, you can dress it up or down...did I mention it's AMAAAAAZING??!!! Run, don't walk to get yours NOW!! It's currently on a limited time new release sale and you can find it here: Magrath Dress & Tunic PDF Sewing Pattern

Picture overload coming in 3, 2,...


Thanks for stopping by!

Tara



2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love!! Great accents added to an already great pattern :)

    ReplyDelete